Pages

Monday 1 May 2017

Understanding an Introvert

Often I heard that an introvert is misconception by the public (or the extrovert) for being 'too shy' or 'anti-social' kind of people. 


Credits: https://goo.gl/7FfpYs

Being an introvert myself, I somehow understand of how the public view us, the introvert.

Let me share my experience to you: 

I was in a social-connecting session. People gathered in a table and started talking to each other about latest issues and personal interest. I was there listening and observing their conversation; only participating when I feel necessary. Others have talked to me from time to time and I honestly spoke few words; until a guys suddenly asked me why I was so quiet. 

I was like: "err...I'm listening to your conversation." 

He answered: "oh. Here I thought you might have issues on bad breath problems. Haha."

Quiet sarcastic, isn't he. 

I want to emphasize that the way of how an introvert interpreted an interaction or event is quiet different from the extrovert. 

Credits: Google Image


I don't want to go for a deep technical explanation but in order to help you understand better of how 'different' introvert is, I just need to.

According to Marti Olsen Laney (The Introvert Advantage), introverts have a longer neural pathway for processing stimuli. Information runs through a pathway that is associated with long term memory and planning. As they process information, introverts are carefully attending to their internal thoughts and feelings at the same time. 

Extroverts' brains run on an energy-spending nervous system, whereas introverts' brains run on an energy-conserving nervous system. This is one reason why introverts feel content and energized when reading a book, thinking deeply, or diving into their rich inner world of ideas. 



RIGHT. I can relate to this. Every time, when I'm in a group conversation I tend to daydreaming. I do listen to what they say but at the same time my mind is thinking a "deeper way" of the conversation. I do talk (a little) however I tend to listen more of the conversation rather than talking. 

This is not antisocial.  It is not a sign of depression. For us (introverts), to be alone with our thoughts is as restorative as sleeping and as nourishing as eating. After an hour or two of being socially "on", we introverts need to turn off recharge. 

Credits: Google Image


While the extroverts are energized by people, and wilt or fade when alone, the introverts in contrast, tend to be introspective, quiet and less sociable. We are not necessarily loners but we tend to have fewer numbers of friends. 

Introversion does not describe social discomfort but rather a social preference: an introvert may not be shy but merely prefer fewer social activities. 

Credits: Google Image

Well, of course no one is completely an introvert or completely an extrovert. Though every introvert is different, most introverts share certain traits and characteristics. 

The extroverts do not always get us, but fret not. It is OK to be quiet. And think a lot. And get tired easily from group activities. 
Just be who you are.

Thanks for reading.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts